1. They position their programs proactively.
- Have the right tools/assets/people in the right place before an incident happens
- Understand the business & its needs
- Pay attention to internal trends
Additional Resource: Security Leadership: Security as a Business
2. They build the right relationships – internally and externally.
- Strategic stakeholders, cross-functional team members
- Peers from within and outside your sector
- Public-private partnerships
- Create win-wins
- Adapt from others’ experiences
- Develop preparedness networks
Additional Resource: What is the Most Important Characteristic of an Outstanding CSO/CISO?
6. They discuss risks and mitigation strategies in terms the Board "gets."
- How does the Board view risk?
- Identify the business processes in these risk areas with security components
- Map what the security function does to mitigate these risks
- This creates a dotted line between what security does and what the Board cares about.
Additional Resource: Managing Enterprise-Wide Board Risk
7. They run security as a business.
- Understand their internal customers and what they want or need
- Catalogue what security offers and its value
- Develop KPIs to measure that value
- Constantly communicate with stakeholders
Additional Resource: Influential Strategies for Corporate Security
8. They take care of staff and help them grow.
- Teach staff to think strategically
- Create a team of leaders that the organization will view as experts
- Mentorship within the team will help draw stronger new job candidates as well
Additional Resource: Next Generation Security Program
9. They recognize their organization is different from any other
- There is no one "best" model for security
- The best choices for the organization will depend on:
- Organizational Readiness
- Program Maturity
- Leadership Style
- Corporate Culture
- Risk Appetite
Additional Resource: The OPaL+ Assessment Executive Summary
10. They prepare for future trends.
- Understand the industry and company
- Develop a skill set that blends security, IT, business expertise and the ability to identify and evaluate emerging issues
- Grow with the company
- Cultivate an imagination capable of finding opportunities that will add value
to discuss how we can assist you to accomplish these actions.
You can download a PDF of this page below: